Dragon’s Head Cider is an award-winning cidery on Vashon Island, WA, founded by Wes and Laura Cherry in 2010. We are an orchard-based local producer, crafting high quality cider and perry, and selling though a retail tasting room, at regional farmer’s markets, though our club and online store, and through distribution in Washington and Oregon. We grow cider fruit onsite, in an orchard of approximately 3,000 apple and pear trees. We also produce cider with a focus on the apple varieties and the quality of the fruit, along with a mastery of the science of fermentation and the art of blending. We currently produce about 40,000 liters of cider per year.
We are seeking a new member for our production crew. As a member of our small team, you would have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the cider making process from apple to bottle, and even including a small role in the sales process.
Assistance with orchard tasks may include:
- Tree training – attaching limbs to trellis
- Pruning activities – some basic pruning, collection, and disposal of pruned wood
- Orchard maintenance – irrigation, trellis repair, mowing
- Harvest (Sept through Dec)
Assistance with cider production work may include:
- Pressing apples and pears (Sept through Dec)
- Monitoring fermentations
- Racking and blending cider
- Cleaning tanks and equipment
- Bottling cider
- Cleaning and filling kegs
- Cleaning and more cleaning
Assistance with cider sales may include:
- Attending to customers that stop by the production facility during the workday to purchase from our on-site bottle shop
- Set up and sales at one of the regional farmer’s markets
- Packing orders for distributors and shipments
- Packing online and cider club orders
- Must be able to lift 50lbs comfortably
- Must be willing to work outside year round
- Must have a vehicle for transporting farmer’s market supplies
Work schedule and compensation
- This is a full time position, Sunday through Thursday
- Starting base pay is $17/hour, with an additional commission amount based on cider sales
The ideal candidate has experience working with fermentations, but this is not a requirement. The ideal candidate is also someone that works efficiently with manual labor tasks, is detail oriented, follows instructions, and learns quickly.
This position also presents the opportunity to learn about all aspects of the way cider and perry is made at Dragon’s Head Cider. The ideal candidate has an interest in learning the cider making philosophy of Dragon’s Head Cider.
Please send resume, references, and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.